Monday, January 16, 2012

Hey! Socks!

Enough with the radio silence!  I keep not-blogging, in hopes that I will have cooler, longer, better-photographed posts in the future.  Bah!  I'm going to try to post weekly about the stuff I'm working on, whether it's done or not, epic or humble.

I've been knitting lots of socks lately.  I finally discovered why people knit socks - they're the Everywhere Project.  They're so portable and mostly mindless, so you can knit them on the bus, while watching TV, whatever.  I've been knitting in seminar and at conferences, which gets me weird looks, but keeps me awake.  I went to a conference in Hawaii in November (yes, woe is me) and knitted about 3/4 of a sock while taking a workshop and listening to talks. 


These are made from leftover yarn from a pair I made for my mom's birthday.  The colorful yarn is hand-dyed from Happy Hands Yarns in Wisconsin and is striped with black.  I did a short-row heel for the first time on these because I wanted that commercial contrast-heel look.  It was a pain finding instructions, but I finally found them in the Nutkin sock pattern.  It also took me 4 tries to get the heel right (mystery accidental yarnovers on my SSSPs!  Ack!) but I was victorious eventually.  That said, I don't think I'll be doing many short-row heels.  They're kind of a pain, and the corners sit funny.  We'll see, once I'm wearing them.


I still have to finish the second sock (heel almost done) but with seminar back in session, it shouldn't be too long.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for writing in your blog when you can - perfect is the enemy of progress.

    Love those socks! Michael will be getting something very similar for his birthday, methinks.

    ReplyDelete